photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, April 19, 2013

TALES FROM TOLEDO


Take a look at some of these TERRIFIC ideas from Toledo!
P.S.  I do not judge or edit what teachers share with me.  Therefore, you might see duplicates or things you’ve done before.  However, I’m always amazed at the creative  tips that teachers come up with!

Self Control  (Becky Gilsdorf)
Use this visual cue to help children who are out of control.
Cross hands over your chest.  (Self)
Slide both hands down the sides of your body.  (Control)
As the child repeats the movements silently it will calm them down.

Hand Poem  (Barb Williams)
Hands up high.         (Hands in the air.)
Hands down low.         (Hands down.)
Hide those hands, now.   (Hands behind your back.)
Where did they go?    (Shrug shoulders.)
One hand up.           (Right hand up.)
The other hand, too.   (Left hand up.)
Clap them,         (Clap.)
Fold them,    (Fold in lap.)
Now we’re through!

Hallway Tip  (Stacey Keller)
“Zip” – pretend to zip your lips.
“Flip” – fold arms across your chest.
“We’re ready for the hallway trip.”

Watermelon Cheer  (Kathleen Wright)
Watermelon, watermelon,
Growing on the vine.
We did a good job.
We did just fine!
Yeah!!!  (Thumbs up.)

Echo Count by 2’s  (Kathleen Wright)
Clap and count 4 beats until you get to a thirty and then shout.
2 4 6 8
10 12 14
16 18 20
22 24 26 28
30!

Quiet Coyote  (Alyssa)
Hold your hand with the pinky and pointer fingers up like ears.  Tap the middle and ring finger on your thumb.

1, 2, 3 Eyes on Me  (Rooe Aliakbar)
Teacher says:          1, 2, 3 - eyes on me.
Children respond:   1, 2 – eyes on you!

Wiggle Song  (Sarah Drummond)
(Sing in a whisper voice.)
I wiggle my fingers.
I wiggle my toes.
I wiggle my ELBOWS.  (yell this word)
I wiggle my nose.
Now, no more wiggles are left in me.
So I will sit still -
As still as can be.  (Fold hands and place in your lap.)

WHO Are We?  (Linda Pelger)
W – H – O  (Make arm motions for the letters.)
Who, who are we?
W – H - O

Verb Chant  (Linda Pelger)
A verb, a verb, is an action word, an action word.
You can do it, do it, do it, do it, do it.
Can you jump?  (Jump two times)
Can you hop?  Swim?  Dive?  Laugh?  Frown?  Jog?  Etc.

Stu’s Cheer (Kristie Stubloski aka “Miss Stu”)
Teacher:  I like it, I like it, I- I – I.
Kids:               LOVE IT!!!

Attention Grabber  (Sherry Raessler)
I am looking.
What do I see?
I see (student, class) sitting (or standing or whatever you need)
Properly.

Rhyming Chant  (Tina Ponzi)
(Slap knees and clap hands to get the rhythm.)
When I say bat, you say cat.
Bat – cat
Bat – cat

*You can also use this chant for opposites.
When I say hot, you say cold.
Hot – cold
Hot – cold

Bubbles and Marshmallows (Debbie Cheek)
When walking in the hall tell the students to pretend to put bubbles in their mouths as they puff out their cheeks.  (They keep their mouths closed to keep the bubbles in and then they can’t talk.)

*You can also use marshmallow toes in the hallway.  Talk about what marshmallows sound like when they fall and that’s the sound their feet should make.

Stinky Brain Break  (Jamie Garner)
The kids get to take their shoes off during center/workshop time and we call it a “Stinky Brain Break.”  If you present it at the start of a center the first 15 minutes of independent work time is silent.

FREEZE  (Jamie Garner)
Teacher says:           Freeze!
Students respond:         Ice Cold!  (Wrap arms around self as if shivering.)
Teacher:                  I’m looking for frozen students.

Are You Listening?  (Carla Montgomery)
(Tune:  “Are You Sleeping?”)
Teacher:         Are you listening?  Are you listening?
Children:         Yes, I am.  Yes I am.
Teacher:           Look at my toes.  Look at my nose.
                  Please sit down.

OU Sound  (Carla Montgomery)
To teach the /ou/ sound pinch fingers at the class and teach them to say,
“/ou/  Oh, you pinched me!”

Tales of a Teacherista
Here’s a new blog with classroom pictures, ideas, and more!

Check  (Kelly Kohlhofer)
Make a checkmark with your magic pencil (finger) and then point up and down your body for “Check yourself.”  At first verbally say, “Check yourself” with the motions.  Then you can just tap a student’s shoulder and make the hand motions.
*Teacher says:         Eyes click.
Children respond:         Lips zip.

Thinking Chair  (Kelly Kohlhofer)
Use a “Thinking Chair” for students who need to be removed from a situation.  Then ask if they thought about what they could do different.

Out Chant  (Kelly Kohlhofer)
O –U –T spells out, out.
O – U – T says get out of here.  (Point thumb out.)

Grab Your Partner  (Tina Rufenacht)
Pass out one Old Maid card to each student and when they find their match, it’s their partner.
*You can also use shapes, clocks, beginning sounds, etc.

Quieting Tricks  (Meghan Boyle)
*Before going in the hallway say, “Hands on your hips.  Smile on your lips.”

*Hush little children don’t say a word.
We’re leaving the room and shouldn’t be heard.
Hands at your side and do not talk.
Tip toe in the halls when we start to walk.

*Tattle Tale Phone
Have a phone in the classroom for the children to use instead of telling the teacher.  If they want to use it they put their hand up to their ear.  Teacher nods or shakes her head to let them know.  Have a laminated sheet so they can pick who to leave a message for:
         Press # 1 – teacher
         Press #2 – discipline person
         Press #3 – principal
         Press #4 – President of USA