photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, January 2, 2015

PARENT POWER FOR THE NEW YEAR

Here's a great idea to start the New Year. It's free, simple, and could engage families in a meaningful way. All you have to do is go to my website (drjean.org) and click on free activities. Scroll down to the parent resources and you'll find an activity calendar you can send home at the beginning of each month. Ask the parents to do 5-10 of the activities during the month and return the calendar to school at the end of the month.  When my daughter first saw these calendars she said, "Mom, that's really cool."  I said, "Would you do those things?"  She replied, "Of course.  I just don't think about doing those things."  Most of your parents are like my daughter, but if you give them a prompt something special might happen.

                     

Here's an introductory letter you can send home with the calendars.

Dear Families,
I’m excited about starting the New Year, and I’ve got some great ideas to make this the best year ever for my children and their families! You’ve heard it before, and I’ll say it again. YOU are your child’s first and most important teacher! Children today need the same things they have always needed. They need caring adults to talk to them, sing to them, read to them, play with them, and LOVE them. And the good news is that the best things to do with children are FREE!
Each month your child will bring home a “family fun calendar” with suggestions for activities you can do at home. Try to do at least 10 activities, color them in, and return the calendar at the end of the month. You will also receive a reading calendar to record the special times you read together.
I want to do all I can to fill 2015 wonderful memories for you and your child!
Sincerely,

You'll also find a reading calendar you can send home each month.  I'm convinced if every family read with their children every day we could improve literacy scores.

But wait...there's more!  You can download a handout called "January Recipes for Fun" with a song, finger play, nursery rhyme, game, cooking activity, and craft.  Run these off and send home or post the ideas on your class website or blog.