photo 3am_dj_home_zps919fb85e.png photo 3am_dj_about_zps7cce4c75.png photo 3am_dj_website_zps73051235.png photo 3am_dj_ss_zps6759ec2a.png photo 3am_dj_bs_zps43e27832.png

Friday, September 25, 2015

HALLOWEEN FINGER PLAYS


Spiders and pumpkins and black cats - oh, my! Halloween is more than a month away, but over the next few days I'll share some "treats" with you that I've gathered over the years. Many of these rhymes and projects are like "lost atifacts" so I hope you'll keep them alive!
This is one of my all time favorite finger plays and it never goes out of style!
Jack O’ Happy
This is Jack O’ Happy. (Hands circle head and smile.)
This is Jack O’ Sad. (Hands circle head and frown.)
This is Jack O’ Spooky. (Open mouth and eyes wide.)
And this is Jack O’ Mad. (Make a mean face.)
This is Jack in pieces small. (Hold up palms.)
But in a pie he’s best of all. (Circle arms in front as if holding a pie.)

You can download a book for the children to read and color. Or, better yet, download the version with just the words so the children can make their own illustrations.
                          
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1SnEagA4jljWmZCbk1sWk1vSWs/view?usp=sharing

Five Little Pumpkins
(Tune: “Five Little Ducks” – Happy Everything CD)
Five little pumpkins sitting on the gate. (Hold up 5 fingers.)
The first one said, “Oh, my it’s getting late.” (Hold up thumb.)
The second one said, “There are witches in the air.” (Hold up index finger.)
The third one said, “But I don’t care.” (Hold up middle finger.)
The fourth one said, “Let’s run and run and run.” (Hold up ring finger.)
The fifth one said, “I’m ready for some fun.” (Hold up pinky.)
Ooooo! Went the wind, and out went the light. (Blow through hands, then clap.)
And the five little pumpkins rolled out of sight! (Roll hands behind back.)
                                         
*My students love to hold paper pumpkins and act out this rhyme. 

*It's also easy to make a flannel board activity for children to use as they say the rhyme.

Here's a youtube video my daughter did several years ago where you can see me demonstrate the finger plays. Tomorrow I'll have more details about the stories on the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2I-TttXTm8


P.S. Sandy Davis Pride added this comment to the post "THE VOWEL FAMILY":
I do vowel cheers with my first graders:
I say a, you say (short a sound);a-a, a-a, (hands to ear, like can't hear)
I say e, you say (short e sound): e-e, e-e, (hand like you're afraid of a mouse)

I - We hold our nose for the short sound.
O - Arms in a high circle.
U - We make our arms make a u with our waist.

I have also stepped outside the room and come in as Miss Vowel--think Viola Swamp. The kids love it!